THE SWEDEN-INDIA project aims for participants to be educated in critical global citizenship, capable of becoming agencies of larger social change.
The general objective:-
CAPACITY BUILDING FOR CROSS CULTURAL SENSITIVITY AND COMPETENCE. The personal and professional objectives are interwoven in specific goals.
- Increase awareness and understanding of how culture influences individual and organizational behavior.
- Apply skills and instruments to improve intercultural communication.
- Explore one's own culturally related values, attitudes and behavior.
- Get new perspectives on culture work (specifically social work) and how it is done in another country, culture, situation.
- Provide safe space for students to engage as border crossers.
- Challenge and remap cultural knowledge to minimize biases and stereotypes.
- Experience personal growth through a process of intense interaction with people.
- Compare Sweden and India on levels of similarities and differences for better cultural integration and understanding.
- Find some opportunities to develop and sharpen skills in communication, cooperative living and learning, training in conflict resolution and positive group dynamics.
- Develop a global perspective on social issues.
- Reduce ethnocentrism.
- Create a distance from one's own society, thus developing a sense of "objectivity" in social analysis.
- Influence social policy makers to strengthen ties between India, Sweden (and - eventually - rest of Europe).